Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Walk, Walk, Whoa....Now do it again.


Wyatt is the type of guy that just wants to do his job, but doesn't understand why there is a need for some things. Walking in the round pen ( or even under saddle out in the pasture) is just not on his top list of things that are necessary and he doesn't really see the point. So, today, being that the ground was so hard....I really just wanted to do a lot of long walking with him...but on the lead to start, he was way to fresh. So, I went to the round pen thinking: lets see if he can listen at a walk. Usually in the round pen, Wyatt wants to go...trot, trot, trot, no walking..no listening to whoa....and he is not happy with the lunge whip!
Today, though, we had a break through....He stayed at a walk, turned directions when asked, when asked to whoa he did ( okay at first it took about 5 times of asking, but then he agreed it was time to whoa) and by the time we were done he was in complete attention of what I was asking of him and was listening to me! This is a big step, since walking is NOT his thing! So, now we were ready to walk on the lead...without me being drugged about. He was calm and listening....I like to talk, so he kept giving me the cocked ear and stayed in my stride. Maybe I was just boring him into a walk....but I like to think he was enjoying the chat:)
I will give today an A+

No comments:

Post a Comment